31.10.11

First Post... Emotional fitness in horse and owner!

Hello... and welcome to my new blog :) I wasn't going to post on here until General was better, but seems like that's going to be a long way off now. Which is really disheartening and horrible, but I don't have a choice I'm afraid :( Plus it seems like such a dark beginning to a blog! But I also figured it may be a good starting point... the journey from where we are now to, hopefully, being back on form and maybe even better when all is well again!
So basically, if you know me or keep up to date on the savvy forum, facebook or Parelli Connect, you'll know that me and General were flying over this summer!! After all our problems, something clicked with us and oh boy, did we start to have fun. He helped me through some really difficult times and in turn I helped him. Together we made a partnership we had never had before, and we were finally on the same page! It was fantastic! Our play sessions were brilliant, we were riding, cantering, even jumping?! He trusted me, and I trusted him, even enough to go hacking out on our own, oh my gosh, it was pure heaven!! We were even preparing to film our level 3 online audition. I finally felt like all we had been through was worth it, just for those moments of pure happiness, love and partnership.


And then he started rearing.


It happened so suddenly that I knew there was something wrong, this wasn't behavioural, there was something causing pain, I knew it. 
I had the back specialist out to see if he had a trapped nerve. I suspected it as he has had them before and it gave similar symptoms. But no, not his back. she suggested he sees a vet because there was something she noticed in his right hind leg. He wasnt obviously lame, but he was sensitive and when she got me trotting fast on a circle, he wasnt tracking up on that side and after a couple of circles he started to show signs of lameness.
Without having scans/xrays done its not possible to tell whats wrong exactly. His suspicions are suspensory ligament damage, beginnings of arthritis, soft tissue damage or loss of shock absorber in his hock, all of which start with treatment of a rest period. So instead of spending a lot of money on scans to confirm the problem, he suggested giving him a rest period first then see how he is.
He is on 12 weeks rest, mix between box and paddock rest (I have had to make him the tiniest paddock EVER), he isnt allowed to play or anything, absolutely NO cantering for 12 weeks even in the field (hence the teeny paddock) and ideally no trotting either. After this period the vet will re-examine him and if he is sound start bringing him back into work gently. If he's sound I will probably be able to get back on him after 6 months or so, and start riding properly after a year.
But thats if all goes well.
If he's still lame after 12 weeks he will need bone scans and xrays to see if there is something else going on, and appropriate treatment will follow.
So as you can imagine I'm pretty shocked and sad right now. I don't think its quite hit me yet, how hard this next year is going to be!! Already I nearly lost my head this morning leading him, he tried to make a run for it and got his leg caught in the rope, and started bronking right in my face to get free. Not his fault, he's annoyed at being penned up and not being able to let his energy out. Hard to keep your emotional fitness at those times though, seeing your life flash before you!
This evening he was better, walked a lot calmer. Have given him some more toys to play with out in the paddock, hopefully they will keep him occupied a little. I'm going to start walking him more tomorrow.
So yeah, thats the start of my blog, lol! Not so happy, but still, its something. I think it will be interesting to write this journey out, and read it back in years to come. Just hope he comes through this ok. Any ideas for things for him to do, let me know!
xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Naomi, My name is Melissa and I have "seen" you around on the savvy club forum. I'm really sorry to hear about your horse. I have a RBI arabian who was just recently diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in her hocks. I would have never guessed it though because it manifested itself as a back problem. I first noticed when I would go to saddle her she would wince and try to bite at me, then as soon as I would ask for the trot she would stop and try to bite. Upon examination it was obvious her back was sore so I had the vet out and he did a flex test and decided she had arthritis which was causing her to tense up her back as a defensive measure making it sore. I spent a month not riding her and about a week of no work at all. Then slowly I worked on getting her back stronger and she was on anti-inflamatories. Now she is just on a joint supplement and doing much better but as it is a degenerative disease I wonder how long she will stay sound. Anyhow, I hope things get better for your horse! Your journey is such an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! thankyou for your comment. I am sorry to hear your horse has troubles too, but glad you are able to keep it under control. hope you are both doing well! General is improving everyday, its been 7 weeks now and to our surprise he came up 95% sound on his assessment today, which is above and beyond what was expected!! so pleased, he's such a fighter! x

    ReplyDelete